Now that you've studied the many examples for solving inequalities, are you ready for some practice problems?
Let's quickly recap some of the steps for solving these practice problems.
Steps for Solving Inequalities
- Solve the inequality as you would an equation which means that "whatever you do to one side, you must do to the other side".
- If you multiply or divide by a negative number, REVERSE the inequality symbol.
Steps for Graphing Your Solution to the Inequality
- Use an open circle on the graph if your inequality symbol is greater than or less than.
- Use a closed circle on the graph if your inequality symbol is greater than or equal to OR less than or equal to.
- Arrow will point to the left if the inequality symbol is less than.
- Arrow will point to the right if the inequality symbol is greater than.
Now you get a chance to solve a few on your own. Try each of the
practice problems on your own before checking your answer below. If you
get stuck, go back and review the examples problems.
Directions: Solve each inequality and graph the solution. Click here to print out number lines for your practice.
1. 5 - x < 4
2. 4 - 6x > -15 + 1
5 - x < 4
4 - 6x > -15 + 1
This problem looked tricky only because I had to first simplify the
right hand side. Again, don't forget to reverse your inequality symbol
when dividing by a negative number.
It's also good practice to check your answer by substituting a number
that fits the solution back into the original inequality. This will
verify whether or not your inequality symbol is correct.
So, how did you do? Hopefully you did great, but if not you must check out the extra practice problems in the Algebra Class E-course.
Take a look at the questions that other students have submitted:
- Home >
Inequalities in One Variable >
Need More Help With Your Algebra Studies?
Get access to hundreds of video examples and practice problems with your subscription!
Click here for more information on our affordable subscription options.
Not ready to subscribe? Register for our FREE Pre-Algebra Refresher and Solving Equations Unit!